Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Trailer - "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn"


With a collection of nearly everybody I love in film right now assembling for these two ground breaking 'Tintin' films, it is odd that I feel curiously muted on the whole affair. With Steven Spielberg directing one, Peter Jackson directing the other and the two films being written by none other than Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright - it also starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost along with Daniel Craig, Andy Serkis and Jamie Bell (as the titular character), then I really should be more excited about this. It might be the fact that I was just never a fan of 'Tintin' growing up. Talent involved is great and the snippet of footage here is impressive, falling somewhere in between "Avatar" and Robert Zemeckis' recent motion capture features (hopefully minus the dead eyes that plagued those films), so maybe it should be time that I raise my excitement bar on this. The new US and Europe posters have also debuted, with both curiously enough, dropping The Secret of the Unicorn from its title. Whether or not this an official title change remains to be seen, but for now we have Spielberg's effort up first, in it's release on October 26th.

2 comments:

  1. I for one am incredibly excited about the films. I've been a massive Tintin fan since I was around 5. However, I do feel that as exciting as a stop-motion picture on this scale (especially with Steve and Pete producing and directing) will be, it's not going to capture the character of the Tintin books nearly as well as the animation of the 90's series.

    Both those men are great for massive, dramatic set pieces, which is shown well in the trailer, but Tintin, I feel, is a more genteel sort of detective story, not a rampaging police thriller. I hope they don't let their love of flash get in the way of what could be a fantastic conversion from paper to celluloid.

    Also, the story of the Unicorn is split into two books, The secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackhams Treasure. It's possible that's the reason there are no names on the posters? They want cinema goers to want to go to 'Tintin' not 'Secret of the Unicorn' or 'Red Rackhams Treasure'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I had no idea you were such a fan Karl!! Some people have claimed the US poster as far superior than the European for precisely the reasons you have outlined above. I personally like the action packed European one more than the dark US one with (as far as I am concerned) some anonymous ship in the background. Might be sacrilage on my part, but I was just never a huge fan unfortunately. I'm gonna wait and see the next trailer before i make my mind up on this one.......

    ReplyDelete